Goose Island Beer & Cheese Pairing Class at Zingerman’s Creamery

Last week I received an invitation to attend a special “Ladies’ Night: Cheese & Beer Pairing Class.” The event was hosted by Goose Island and took place at Zingerman’s Creamery in Ann Arbor. Naturally I could not pass up this opportunity! Beer are cheese are two of my favorite things in the world.

As part of Goose Island’s mission to spread their new lineup of fruit-fusion sour beers beyond Chicago, they are traveling to 32 different cities around the country as part of “Migration Week,” and last week they were in Ann Arbor.

photo 1 (3)

Before this event I’d actually never tried Goose Island’s craft brews, but I was pleasantly surprised by their offerings after tasting four at the event.

I especially enjoyed the Sofie, a Belgian-style Farmhouse Ale, which contains 20% Belgian Style Ale aged in wine barrels with citrus peel (and the other 80% is non-aged Belgian Style Ale.) I found it to have a mild peppery bite, a trait I love in a brew, as well as bold citrus notes. (I actually liked this so much I sought it out at the newly-renovated Blue Front in town [yup, they’re now open] this weekend.)

Another interesting brew I tried was the Madame Rose, which is aged in wine barrels with Michigan cherries. I really enjoyed this unique beer, laden with sour and malty fruit flavors and tannins that make you question whether you’re drinking beer or wine.

The line-up:

04 goose island and cheese event (2)
And don’t worry – we didn’t go hungry either! All of us beer-lovin’ ladies were absolutely spoiled with tons of amazing Zingerman’s food, including sandwiches, pickles, potato salad, and pretzel bread.

photo 5

Oh, and a HUGE spread of Zingerman’s Creamery cheese. I die. This is basically my idea of heaven right here. #MustEatAllTheCheese

photo 4photo 1 (6)

Then, after noshing and sipping, we got to make our own cheese!

An expert cheesemaker (so knowledgeable!) from Zingerman’s Creamery led us through the hands-on process of making three different cheeses that we got to bring home with us, including:

    • fresh mozzarella
    • burrata
    • mozzarella with myrtle

04 goose island and cheese event

I made mozzarella and burrata!

photo 3 (3)_450

…and mozzarella with myrtle!

photo 5 (2)

Instructed to eat my fresh mozzarella THAT night, I picked up some pretty heirloom tomatoes on the way home for a caprese salad. It’s a hard job, but somebody’s gotta eat that cheese. My goodness, it was DELISH, too.

photo 1 (5)

I’d like to give a huge THANK YOU to Goose Island for inviting me to this wonderful event and sharing their awesome new lineup of fruit-fusion sour craft brews (and also to Zingerman’s Creamery for teaching me how to make my own cheese and for providing fabulous food!).

Check out if Goose Island is headed your way this summer for Migration Week.

About these ads

5 thoughts on “Goose Island Beer & Cheese Pairing Class at Zingerman’s Creamery

  1. I got the same invitation and was wondering if they sent it to me by mistake or if it was indeed open to men. When I replied I got the bad news that I couldn’t go. I LOVE burrata and have been a Goose Island fan for many many years. U can get Sofie at Costco for super cheap

  2. Pingback: Zingerman’s Roadhouse: Brunch & Dinner Reviews | Meg Goes Nom Nom

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s