Hummus and pita, Cajun chicken nuggets, Minestrone soup
So, I LOVE hummus (doesn’t everyone lately?), and I wanted to try making it myself. But mine didn’t turn out good! I mixed up my chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, salt, and lemon juice with my blender, per Jessica’s “recipe,” but something just wasn’t right. I toyed with it for a long time adding a little more of this, a little of that, but it just didn’t turn out very tasty. It may have been because I didn’t have very high quality EVOO? I don’t know…
The Minestrone Soup
was actually an Olive Garden “copycat” recipe I found at www.recipezaar.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen cut italian green beans
- 1/4 cup minced celery (about 1/2 stalk)
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans or great northern beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned or shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups hot water
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta
- Heat three tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add vegetable broth to pot, plus drained tomatoes, beans, carrot, hot water, and spices.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach leaves and pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Makes about eight 1 1/2 cup servings.
It was good; I’d probably rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I didn’t care for the frozen green beans, as they got got of mushy. I also thought the zucchini got mushy and didn’t care for it in the soup. But it make soooo much. It was very hearty and good.
Definitely the best part was the nuggets! I actually make these for dinner all the time now, they are sooo good. This recipe is from www.recipezaar.com.
Cajun-Style Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the onion recipe soup mix, bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, thyme, and pepper.
- Dip the cubed chicken in bread crumb mixture, coating well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2-inch oil over medium temperature and saute chicken, turning once, until done; drain on paper towels.
- Dip in honey mustard!
Oh yeah, we also splurged and got Bailey’s and Kahlua (and vodka) and made White Russians🙂