A jar of blackberry jam was the inspiration for this weeknight Breakfast-for-Dinner meal, put together using staples in my fridge and pantry. Having been given a jar of homemade jam by one of Tom’s co-workers, we were in need of something on which it could be spread! Enter: coupon for a free loaf of bread at Great Harvest Bread Company. Perfect timing! Their bread is very tasty (Parmesan Peppercorn is my favorite kind!), and I love that you are always offered a bread sample of your choice upon entering the store (and a generous sample at that!). The main downside is that the bread is a little pricy, but it is definitely worth it for a splurge once it a while, since it is so tasty! And thus, toasted Great Harvest Bread Company white bread, lightly buttered, and doused in delicious homemade blackberry jam was one part of dinner.
I also roasted up some veggies.
- Petite red skins with gold flesh, halved, tossed with EVOO, S&P, dried rosemary and thyme, and LOTS of garlic (2 big minced cloves). These were otherworldly!
- Sliced banana pepper – to sprinkle over my eggs, just because I was feeling creative and had a peppa to use up
- Baby carrots, tossed with EVOO, maple syrup, and S&P
These were the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made!! I used 3 whole eggs, plus 3 egg whites (for two people), as I was trying to reduce the fat and cholesterol content, and I must say that I liked this better than using all whole eggs! These were the ingredients I used:
- 3 whole eggs, plus 3 egg white
- several dashes of hot sauce
- ~2 T. fat-free half-and-half
- tons of black pepper
- salt added after cooking
Once I scrambled my eggs slowly over a low heat, they were topped with some luscious, soft sautéed sweet onions.
The Plating. Clockwise: toast with blackberry jam; fluffy spicy scrambled eggs topped with sautéed sweet onions and roasted banana peppers; roasted baby redskins with garlic, rosemary, and thyme, roasted maple baby carrots; a few sausage links dipped in syrup.
♪♫ Currently listening to: Space Dementia – Muse.