I’m always looking for new easy and healthy side dish recipes. My standard go-tos are roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, steamed asparagus or broccoli, and creamed spinach.
For this recipe, I dressed up plain ol’ frozen broccoli and canned corn and made them into something special.
Just a few easy ingredients – Meijer brand, for the win:
My first step was to crush twelve Ritz (well, the store brand version) crackers. I happen to own a mini food processor attachment for my immersion blender, and this worked swimmingly; however, this could also be done by placing the crackers in a zip-top bag and rolling a cup over them until crushed.
Next, I sautéed onion in butter, added flour, and cooked for one minute. Next time I would add more onions to this dish than the amount specified by the recipe, because I love ‘em.
Now for the best part: CHEEEEESE.
Cheese sauce. Yum. Half of the cracker crumbs are also added to the cheese sauce at this point.
Next a drained can of corn is added to the cheese sauce. I used a can of “Baja Corn,” which includes a few chiles and peppers mixed it. I’d recommend it, for added flavor and color, if you can find it.
Pour the cheese and corn mixture atop the broccoli.
The remaining half of the cracker crumbs are mixed with melted butter, before being sprinkled atop the casserole.
Top with crumbs and bake for 30 minutes.
I served this Broccoli & Corn Scallop with Salmon Croquettes. This made for a really tasty pairing, though not the most vibrant plate. The two dishes are visually quite similar!
This Broccoli and Corn Scallop recipe most definitely made for a more interesting side dish than plain veggies.
The dish was tasty. A couple changes I’d make next time, for a bolder flavor:
- Add much more onion!
- Seasoning cheese sauce generously with black pepper
- Use half (or all?) sharp cheddar for a bolder flavor
I can imagine this would be a pleaser for picky eaters!
Broccoli and Corn Scallop
Recipe from Kraft
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onions (I recommend more!)
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 8 oz. Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, or shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 can (11 oz.) corn, drained
- 12 Ritz Crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup), divided
- 2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen broccoli spears, thawed, drained
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- COOK and stir onions in 1 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat 1 min. Blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until thickened. Add cheese; cook 2 to 3 min. or until melted, stirring constantly. Stir in corn and 1/4 cup cracker crumbs [half of the crumbs].
- PLACE broccoli in 12×8-inch baking dish [thaw, drain, and dry well to prevent a watery dish!]; top with sauce. Melt remaining butter; mix with remaining cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over sauce.
- BAKE, uncovered, 30 min. or until heated through.
My rating: 7/10