I know I say it every summer, but summer meals truly ARE the BEST.
Every spring, I am super psyched to start grilling. (Er, ahem, for the huz to start grilling). Once we do, we usually grill once or twice per week for the next several months. Every week I look forward to “grillin’ day.”
This past weekend marked our first grillin’ weekend of 2013, with two grilled meals in a row, on both Saturday and Sunday, and both were amazing!
I have had far too little Biercamp in my life the last few months, due to our lack of grilling, courtesy of Michigan weather. On Friday, I was über-excited to stock up on a few packs of brats from Biercamp, in preparation for the weekend. And, bonus, they had my two favorite kinds in stock!
- Jalapeño Pepperjack
- Smoked Gouda & Portobello Brats
The huz, aka, the Grill Master, grilled up a few brats and a bunch of asparagus for our Saturday dinner.
Grilled Biercamp Brats and Asparagus + Homemade Mac-n-Cheese = Heavenly.
There is nothing else to even say about this plate other than Best.Dinner.Ever.
Alright, and then on Sunday, which, conveniently, also happened to be Cinco de Mayo, we made the best quesadillas!
Grilled Chicken and Veggie Quesadillas
Recipe from Cooking Light
The huz grilled the chicken, red bell pepper, and onions outside on our charcoal grill.
The chicken was fantastic! We used boneless skinless chicken breast, which cooked in minutes on the grill.
Next, the huz delivered the grilled meat and veggies to me, where I finished preparing dinner inside.
To prepare the quesadillas, I placed cheese, chopped veggies, and sliced chicken onto one half of a tortilla, folded it, and then cooked in a skillet coated with nonstick spray.
The quesadillas turned out beautifully! We also had Avocado Butter Lettuce Salad with dinner.
The chargrilled flavor of the veggies and chicken added so much extra oomph to these quesadillas. The extra step of grilling the quesadilla contents was most definitely worth it! I also loved the bold flavors used in the chicken seasoning. These were my favorite quesadillas I’ve ever made! Loved ‘em.
Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Quesadillas
Recipe from Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- Cooking spray
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Prepare your grill.
- Combine paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Rub paprika mixture evenly over chicken; let stand 10 minutes.
- Arrange chicken, onion, and bell pepper on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cook vegetables 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Cook chicken 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken and vegetables from grill; coarsely chop vegetables. Let chicken stand 5 minutes; thinly slice chicken.
- Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons cheese over half of each tortilla; divide vegetables and chicken evenly over cheese. Fold each tortilla in half over filling; lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in pan; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and tortillas are lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 2 wedges; serve with sour cream.
My Rating: 9/10
- One Year Ago: Brunch at Grange
- Two Years Ago: San Fran Day 1–Part I
- Three Years Ago: Potbelly’s Chicken Salad Salad and Max & Erma’s Fajitas